Sunday 17 May 2015

Introduction to Gluten Free Sugar Free

My name is Amanda, and I live in Co Galway, Ireland.

I am not sure how this will develop, but my intention as I start is to have a place where I can record and share the information, recipes, research etc that I come across, or think up myself, as I struggle with this new found problem that is diabetes, and also stay gluten free.

I have been gluten free for 2 years now, with lapses now and then.  I am not celiac, but I am gluten intolerant.  What happens to me when I eat gluten isn't pleasant, with the main problem being my digestive system - yuk.  It also seems to affect my central nervous system.

Now, a few weeks ago, I was told that I am either pre-diabetic, or type 2.  I will most likely find out this week.  Either way, it's no sugar for me from now on.  Be warned, you can develop diabetes even if you do eat healthy food, with little sugar, no ready meals, and very few refined foods.  It appears my diabetes stems from me not eating regular and not eating enough, for up to 20 years.  It had got that many days I would eat nothing until my evening meal, and I haven't eaten breakfast since I was a teenager.

I'm a fairly competent cook, but you try finding gluten and sugar free recipes on an ongoing basis !  

So please let me know what you find interesting, what you would like to see and most of all, please share your own experiences.

Sláinte
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment